Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Is There Any Room for Racism? (Part 1 of 3)

I had this big guy come into my brick and mortar Christian bookstore ( Emmaus Road Christian Store )awhile back and asked me if I had the book “Gracism” written by “Anderson.” My first thought was he was looking for books written by Neil Anderson and my second thought was “I didn’t know Neil Anderson wrote a book on ‘Racism.’ My first response, of course, was “yes I do!” In saying that however, I discovered he wasn’t looking for books written by “Neil Anderson” but rather by “David Anderson.” I’m sure my face had a blank expression on it as I had to embarrassingly ask, “Who’s that?” He of course went on to tell me that he was “David Anderson.”

In my conversation with David I found that he is the pastor at Bridgeway Community Church and the host of a nationally syndicated radio show called Reconciliation Live. He and I had a great visit together and in the course of our visit I found out that he owns a vacation home in my area.

David Anderson’s book “Gracism, the Art of Inclusion” is now a part of my store’s library and I must say a very interesting read. In the introductory section of his book, Anderson states, “Gracism, unlike racism, doesn’t focus on race for negative purposes such as discrimination. Gracism focuses on race for the purpose of positive ministry and service.” I like that! Gracism is for the positive and not the negative. It is for ministry and service and not for discrimination.

When you look at someone, anyone, what do you see? What kind of glasses do you have on? We so often look at people and stereotype people by the way they look. We have preconceived ideas when we see someone of a “different” race than what we are? How about those of a different sex, religion, size? Racism is a sin. Most of the time people think that racism is a black/white situation. Racism is far from that. Yes whites are racist towards blacks, blacks towards whites, whites towards Asians, Asians towards Mexicans, yet get the picture. Over the course of time we have made many advances towards bridging the gap but we obviously have a ling way to go. Anderson talks about the “dot” that everyone has. Some are visible and others aren’t, but we still have them. David Anderson believes the answer to racism in the world today is “Gracism.”


Anderson defines racism as speaking, acting or thinking negatively about someone else solely based on that person’s color, class or culture. He states that grace is the unmerited favor of God on humankind. As Christians we are to extend to others favor and kindness. Anderson says that when one merges the definition of racism, which is negative, with the definition of grace, which is positive, a new term emerges – gracism (I think David Anderson should trademark the term). Anderson defines gracism as the positive extension of favor on other humans based on color, class or culture. We are to extend favor onto others and not have favorites. This is backed up by scripture such as James 2:8-9. Does not God show favor on those he chooses to show favor to?

We are living in a rapidly changing world. There are population projections showing a shift in the numbers of minorities rising and the current majority decreasing. The point being is that we live in a multicultural society. David Anderson gives a great insight in this. This insight is reflected in view of 1 Corinthians 12. When people read this passage of scripture, they read it in light of spiritual gifts. David Anderson makes some strong points that yes, spiritual gifts are prevalent in this passage, but so is multiculturalism. Paul preached to the Jew, the Gentile, the free, the slave, the rich and the poor. Take the time to open your Bible and read this passage with the idea of multiculturalism in mind.

How is your church doing in view of multiculturalism? Are your antennas up and are you aware of the diversities that exist within your fold?

David Anderson’s book: Gracism, the Art of Inclusion can be purchased online for only $15.30 at Emmaus Road Christian Store.

No comments:

Post a Comment